Wednesday, December 3, 2008

So scared!

I think there should be an award for bravery and I think it should go to me. Nice, huh? I love when things work out like that. The other night (Sunday? Monday?) I was sitting around the house reading while my husband was out playing X-Box with his best friend. Around 9:00 I decided I was tired of sitting at home every weekend while he played X-Box so I decided to make some friends in Salem!

This is not as hard as one would think. I contemplated going to a bar, but I didn't think I would want to be friends with anyone I may meet at a bar so I decided to do a bit of craigslist searching instead. Scary fact of the day: people really do put up posts on craigslist that say "Will you be my friend?" I avoided those and clicked on a link about a book group in Salem.

The group is just starting up, the first get-to-know each other meeting is on Friday, and I am going! I am determined to see this through. I will not wander into the meeting place, and then sit in a corner by myself and pretend I am waiting for someone else. No one in the group knows each other so I think it's a great way to start this adventure.

I really prefer staying at home after work. I like putting on pajamas, my fake Uggs, and clomping around the house all night with the dog, a good book and a mug of hot chocolate with a dash of peppermint schnapps. (Did you know that's called a Snuggler?!) I hate coming home and then going back out. It's always so dark and cold and usually not very fun.

On Friday night though, I am going to go back out after work. I am going to join a group of people at a Starbucks (of course it has to be a Starbucks!) and I will do my best to have a good time. In general, I hate book groups because I've usually read whatever is being read and I don't like talking in groups. Even if the group only consists of 3 people, I prefer to keep my mouth shut.

There's going to be at least 5 people at this meeting! I will probably curl up in fear and not say a word, but at least I will have shown up. If only Starbucks could make me a Snuggler - maybe I will sneak a flask in.

4 comments:

  1. Gold star for you for being brave! I am going to try something similar soon. I am going to contact a lady who does a mom's group at a local church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is brave, stepping out of your comfort zone!! Good for you :) . . . & if you don't like it, you can keep looking for a better fit, or keep going for awhile.
    Over the years I've gotten better at building my own community - I'm an only child, & it took me awhile to 'get' group dynamics!!
    I'm with you - curl up with a good book & . . . I like a bit of irish cream in something, myself :)
    Nadya 'ladyharp'

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you go? :)
    I am also trying to get myself to go to a womens event tonight at church...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great that you are doing that. When I first moved down here I didn't have any friends and I got really depressed but i was too afraid to get out there. Now, Caleb is my excuse for everything and I don't have as much free time but I have met a few friends.

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved