Monday, July 5, 2010

The Meadow

Charlotte,

When I think of you, of where you are, a meadow comes to mind. That meadow is in heaven for I believe that is where you are and where I will be someday too. You are a toddler, two, maybe three. You have red blonde curly hair, just like I knew you would. You are wearing pink rain boots, even though the sun is shining. Maybe because we live in Oregon and I was looking forward to buying you pink rain boots? You are wearing a skirt and a little sweater and you, my dear, are beautiful.

You are surrounded by friends. Your laugh rings across the meadow and you run and run and run with your friends. I imagine you surrounded by the babies that belong to the mamas I have met. It helps me to think of you playing with babies I know. I know their stories, I know why they left this earth and I imagine all of you running through that meadow and having a wonderful time. Each baby has a name that floats above their head and every time I encounter another parent who has lost a child one more baby in the meadow is named.

The meadow is filled with butterflies, dragonflies, birds, flowers and other small tokens that remind the left behind parents of their children. Every now and again a child will stop and pick up a butterfly, or lean into a bird sitting on a low tree branch and whisper, "Go. Go see my mama and my daddy. They are sad today. They need to remember me and know I am okay."

There is a path that runs along one side of the meadow. Each day a select few will stop what they are doing. They will drop everything, stand, and say, "Oh, is it that time already?" The other children will keep playing, keep running, but those few precious children will break from the circle and run for the path. And there, in the shadow of giant trees, they will be swept up into their mama or daddy's arms and be held and rocked and kissed and loved.

Someday Charlotte we will meet on that path. It is not my time yet, baby girl. Enjoy spending time with your friends. Run, play, be forever young, but know I am here thinking of you, loving you, missing you, and anticipating the day when we will stand beneath the giant trees - reunited.

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. I have no doubt that Bailey and Charlotte are playing together...keeping each other company and waiting until that day when we are reunited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! I love the image of all of our babies playing together, happy, healthy and sending us messages when we need them the most.

    Thank you for posting this.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazingly beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very lovely way of thinking about it. I'll hold that close I think. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post to your daughter, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog & the information on that website. And thank you for the image of your beautiful Charlotte playing with my Lily...what a wonderful thought to hold to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reid is the big one with the red hair running in circles. Thanks for this wonderful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. My Charlotte has dark curly hair. Thank you for your comment. Your daughter has a beautiful name, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely lovely. I will treasure this image.

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved