Thursday, July 21, 2011

32 week appointment

This was the week of the birth plan, of me asking the doctor question after question, of me hoping Bennett would be at 4 lbs, (3 lbs, 15 oz, so close!) and it all went rather well.  My sister went with me this time as my mother is out cruising the waters between here and Alaska.  Bennett decided to show his face to his aunt today, which made me very happy.  It was a little difficult to see him since he had one hand and his cord near his face, but my sister and I agree that he looks an awful lot like his sister:

Hand over his face


Mouth hanging open, caught him unawares 



I'm still not thrilled about delivering at a hospital BUT I think I will have a good experience at this hospital with this particular doctor.  He recommended beginning cervical checks at 37 weeks since I went into labor with Charlotte at 38.  When I said I would rather not do that he gave a very good reason as to why he recommended it, the main issue being that we live an hour from the hospital and it would be smart to know if I am dilating/effacing so we may have a better idea of when to head in.  He said it's important for me to be monitored throughout the labor and not leave the hour drive too late.  

Then I asked about going to 42 weeks, which he said he would not recommend as the chances of stillbirth increase.  "So I have to be induced at 40 weeks?" I asked.  And then he said the most wonderful thing: "No, this is your pregnancy, your body, and your baby, you don't have to do anything, but I would not recommend going past 40 weeks."  I am hoping and praying this boy comes before or at 40 weeks so we don't have to make a difficult decision about whether or not to induce.

He read over the birth plan, said it all sounded good and in line with how they like to operate things.  I will be monitored the entire labor, but the monitor allows movement and is fine in the water, I don't have to be hooked to an IV, but they will probably put a line in with a cap so they can access me quickly if they need to, and my midwife as well as J can be with me if I need to have a c-section.  It is understood that I don't want to be medicated at all and I won't be checked during labor for dilation/told when to push - when I say it's time, it's time.

Bennett is head down, very low, even lower than last time, which means I was hanging out in the reclining position for part of the ultrasound once more.  I am to continue with kick counts, non-stress tests will not be needed unless a growth issue is detected or we go over 40 weeks, and I am to continue seeing my midwife every two weeks.  My next appointment with the clinic is August 15th, which puts me at 36 weeks and change!!

This is all feeling very real.  I need to go wash some baby clothes, or organize the nursery, or something.

4 comments:

  1. And then he said the most wonderful thing: "No, this is your pregnancy, your body, and your baby, you don't have to do anything..."

    What a fantastic thing for a doctor to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 32 weeks already? Wow it seems like just yesterday you announced the good news. I am glad you have a dr that you are comfortable with and it listening to you. I was so scared to be induced with my rainbow and I prayed she came before but she had other plans. I was induced on my due date and thankfully it went smoothly. Praying your baby boy comes sooner and that you have a great delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - 32 weeks?! Where does the time go? Although I know it inched along for me while I was pregnant.

    So glad to hear the birth plan appt. went well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - 32 weeks?! Where does the time go? Although I know it inched along for me while I was pregnant.

    So glad to hear the birth plan appt. went well!

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved