Saturday, July 23, 2011

Placenta Encapsulation: A Conversation

Wednesday evening I finalized The Birth Plan (it's so important to me I think it deserves a little boldness) and then asked J to read it over.  He was all, "What, why?  I read it before, how much has changed?"  He flopped next to me on the couch, skimmed it over and declared it good.

I hauled the laptop upstairs, hooked it up to the printer and printed out three copies.  J followed and flopped on the couch upstairs.  I was reading over it one last time to make sure it was all coherent and there weren't any spelling mistakes while J messed around on his X-Box.

"We may want to save the placenta for encapsulation purposes," I read out.  "Hmm, that's not too weird, right?  I mean, we are birthing in Eugene."*

J dropped his controller, as well as his jaw.  "You want to what?"

"Save the placenta, then have my midwife encapsulate it so I can take it in pill form."

"What??  Ewww!"

"J!  You just read over this, how did you miss that bit?"

"I think I blocked it out or something.  Are you sure you want to do that?"

"It's supposed to help with postpartum depression and recovery.  With what happened with Charlotte and my family history of depression I think it's a good idea.  My midwife mentioned it a while ago and I am seriously considering it. Plus, you can freeze it and take it when you have menopause, so if I don't use it all it will be useful years from now."

He stared at me.  "You can freeze it for that long?  This is gross."

"Really, I think it may be a good thing.  I'm not asking you to take the pills."

He shuddered.  "I'm just glad I don't have to eat my prostate."**

He can still make me laugh so hard I nearly wet my pants (being 32 weeks pregnant doesn't help either) and I can still surprise him.

* Eugene is the town roughly an hour South of here where we will be delivering.  In a state which is considered fairly laid back and liberal, especially on the West side, Eugene is known as being really free and easy and hippie-esque.  Thus my complete lack of surprise a couple appointments ago when Dr. K told me the midwife wasn't around the clinic because she was at the sweat lodge. Completely normal behavior around those parts.

** Conversation not 100% accurate, but pretty darn close.

11 comments:

  1. I cracked up when I read the eating my prostate bit! I'm glad you have the plan dome. I know you have een working on this for a bit. We are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog often but haven't posted before. I had no idea you lived in the same area as me... but as soon as you described Eugene, I knew exactly which Eugene you were speaking of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds SO much like my husband!
    To be honest, I didn't even know you could do this with a placenta. Sounds really interesting to me. Not sure I would do it, but I could see why you would want to. I might read up on it. I'm sure it would be a battle at my hospital. I'd have to scream and shout a lot. I just want to at least SEE my placenta and I had to make enough noise after both of my previous births to make sure that happened. Hey, it was mine! Surely I'm allowed a look at it before it is turfed out with medical waste (or in the case of Hope, sent away for lab testing).
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewww!

    I wanted to see mine after Evan's birth just to see what it looked like. IT. WAS. HUGE. No wonder he was squirming around, he had no more room! DH was too grossed out to see it. (Wuss.) :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had known about encapsulizing placentas when my twins were born. I would have done it! I had horrible PPD after their pregnancy.
    I did have my Dr. hold my placenta up so I could check it out. WIth all my pregnancies I did. THey are really amazing. WIth the twins their sacs were still connected and the Dr held it up so high that I could see the way everything was laid out. Coolest thing ever. I could see where the two placentas had fused and became one and the double sacs hanging off of it.

    Somthing I would reccomend..lol.

    I pray for you, J, Charlotte and Bennett on a daily basis.
    Thank you for sharing your story
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, encapsulation sounds pretty hardcore, but it won't hurt you so why not? My husband would lose it if I suggested it but of course neither of us have ever even seen a placenta as I have only had c-sections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's also known to help with milk supply.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are going to do the encapsulation too!!! Although being in a large town like Nashville, TN...I am positive that we will be considered weird and off of our rocker when we ask for the placenta. Oh well....to each his own. Oh I can't wait to hear how it all goes Angela. Hey did you see the little girl I was holding in my FB pic? Her name is Charlotte. She is the first baby I have held since Michael died. Even though she is not your Charlotte, it somehow made it a little easier hearing that name and cradling that precious body in my arms. Your precious angel was and frequently is on my mind. Love to you my sister and friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, encapsulation sounds pretty hardcore, but it won't hurt you so why not? My husband would lose it if I suggested it but of course neither of us have ever even seen a placenta as I have only had c-sections.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cracked up when I read the eating my prostate bit! I'm glad you have the plan dome. I know you have een working on this for a bit. We are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ewww!

    I wanted to see mine after Evan's birth just to see what it looked like. IT. WAS. HUGE. No wonder he was squirming around, he had no more room! DH was too grossed out to see it. (Wuss.) :p

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved