Saturday, December 17, 2011

let's slow things down, B



Bennett is growing so fast my uterus now believes he is no longer a baby and is urging me to create another baby for it to house.  I refuse to entertain the notion.  Well, I'm trying to refuse.  I think I'm losing the argument.


This evening Bennett was having naked time on the floor in the nursery.  He has a bit of a rash on his bum and I cannot make the darn thing go away.  Tried Burt's Bees diaper rash cream, now we're on Earth Mama Angel Baby bum cream and lots of naked time.  I hope his super sensitive skin won't force me to cloth diaper him.  His legs are super dry right now too, and he has a couple personal issues, and well he's a bit of a mess.  Perhaps it's time for a doctor visit.

Anyway, floor time, naked, all happy on his big robot blanket that someone at J's work made for him.  I put him on his stomach for a while to see if he would roll over and you know what he did?  Scooted forward on his belly!!  I kid you not.  I called J in to observe, he said B scooted about three feet before rolling over.  That's right friends, he scooted three feet or so and then rolled over.  Is he going to be on the move in a couple months?  Please tell me no.  I'm really not ready.

THEN he went down for sleep time and after sleeping for a bit he woke up.  I soothed him down twice and then J headed in to rock him a bit.  B lost it, screaming his head off, inconsolable, like nothing we have ever seen.  I was upstairs (on pinterest ...) but I asked J to bring him to me so I could see if he wanted to nurse.  The boy has wanted to nurse constantly today, goodness knows why, and though I threaten to close this feeding station some days I never do.  I was cradling B, trying to nurse him, sooth him, do something to make the screaming stop when I noticed something: he has a tooth poking through!  Seriously!!

We gave him his first dose of Tylenol, he nursed, then he got crazy happy, laughing like a mad baby, now he's passed out next to me.  Apparently Tylenol makes my baby high.  I'm in denial about the tooth, I really can't believe he has one coming in already.  If it's really his first tooth we will have to discuss kindness and gentleness while nursing.

As if all that wasn't enough excitement for one day this morning I noticed that Charlotte's rose is still blooming.  It's been blooming continuously since May.  How crazy amazing is that?

11 comments:

  1. Why the resistance to cloth diapers? It really isn't that hard. We love it! And Aeryn gets a horrible rash whenever we put a disposable on her, so I guess we're all lucky we'd decided to do cloth anyway.

    I sure understand what you mean about how fast they grow up. I thought I had it down with baby #3... especially with #1 and #2 being teenagers and nearly grown. "Oh, I know full well how fast it goes by," I've said a million times. But it still shocks and amazes me sometimes, especially when she seems to go from one developmental stage to the next in the span of something like 48 hours. I just want to look her in the eye, and say, "Stop here, just for a little while. Let me enjoy this for a few weeks before you move on to the next thing and it's gone." But she never listens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I'm lazy. I don't want to do extra work and cloth diapers seem like extra work. I have a lot of (silly) guilt about this, but not enough to cloth diaper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done both, and in all complete honesty I do not believe cloth diapers are more work. Throwing a load of diapers in the washing machine is easier and faster than running to the store. And the fact that I have never, not once, had a blow-out in a cloth diaper seals the deal. Both my boys used disposables and I'm kicking myself wondering why I was so resistant to the idea back then. I think you might be surprised if you were to give it a try.
    I don't think it's something to feel guilt about at all. Not changing your baby's diaper is something to feel guilty about. How you do it isn't. But I really think you might like it if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how fast they grow. It's CRAZY. Seriously. Bennett is so darned cute!
    I too love cloth diapering and our diaper rashes are few and far between. Now, don't get me wrong...we've had to go to the dermatologist because of his whole body cradle crap, with the groin area being quite the fort for that rash, but seriously, I love, love, love cloth. I just told John tonight that it's been nearly a year (gasp!) and I still love cloth. In fact, I love it even more now that I feel like I'm in a routine and know what I like and don't. It's never too late to start, you know! Ha ha...just kidding...you do whatever you find works best for you, but if you feel that B might benefit, don't worry! It's easier than many think and honestly, it's about as addicting as Pintrest. Seriously!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. He certainly is cute, I don't blame your ute one bit! :)

    Crazy he's developing and growing like weed already- must be some amazing breast milk. I can't believe he cut a tooth- that's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, a tooth just past 3 months. Hopefully B will not use you as a teething toy. D got her first 2 at 4 months, but I do a have a friend whose daughter cut her first tooth before 11 weeks so you are not the only mama with an early teether.
    (Can't help you out on the cloth is too much work argument, I have a giant basket of cloth diapers that I can't wait to use again.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! My name is Stephanie, I've never commented before but I've been following your blog for a few months now, and I must say I love it! Anyways, I just wanted to let you know about a product that works wonders on diaper rashes. Its called Bag Balm... Ever heard of it? It's actual intended use is for cow's udders... Anyways, it will clear up a rash faster than any diaper rash cream on the market. It comes in a green tin jar and you can find it at any drug store or wal-mart type place... Works great for dry skin too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing that I found that really really worked miracles on both of my kids' red tushies was Triple Paste. Oh, and if you decide to go that route, get it at Target, it is like a third of the price of the pharmacy. I only use it when they are red, so a tub lasts like their whole infancy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another cloth lover here. I think the first time around, it took me a few months to find my cloth grove, but it can be done. If you do go down that path, watch out, it can get addictive.
    So sad that a grown woman in her 30s is addicted to something that catches her babies' poo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing that her rose is still blooming.

    I can't believe he's teething already!!! Eli didn't even start until he was about 9-10 months and it kind of seems like he just hasn't stopped, he's got almost a full mouth of teeth. I hope for B's sake he can hold off a little longer, poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to pop in with a quick recommendation for the Diaper Rash. I had the same issue with my son and my mom gave me this to try.

    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/medline-remedy-nutrashield-with-silicone-blends/ID=prod1525926-product?V=G&ext=frgl_Google_Personal_Care

    It clears it up SO quickly. I call it the Yogurt cream because that is what it reminds me of, but it works great.

    Bennett is adorably by the way!

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved