Sunday, February 5, 2012

2.5.12


The Super Bowl is my favorite American holiday - if it can be called a holiday.  I could take or leave the fourth of July - though I do love our independence - it's usually hot and loud, but the Super Bowl warms my heart.  Food, football, family, friends, what's not to love about the Super Bowl?  It feels so American to me too, almost more than hamburgers on the grill and apple pie with vanilla ice cream melting on top.

This is our third or fourth year hosting a party.  If we had a big enough house we would invite a lot of people.  As it is we cram quite a few into our little space.  I make chili and cornbread, others bring chips, candy, veggies, soda, and we eat the entire time the game is going.  It's better than Thanksgiving, I think.

Two years ago, when the television was upstairs and we made people hike up and down for food, I patted my belly and said, "Well, Charlotte ..." before looking at my sister to see if she caught the slip.  She did, but she kept the name quiet until we shared it after her birth.

Bennett has never watched television.  Well, he watches two minutes of youtube videos - monkey riding backwards on a pig anyone? - while J cuts his nails, but other than that no screen time.



Since the television was in the middle of the room today and impossible to avoid we let him stare and drool to his heart's content.  If someone tried to turn him so he couldn't see he would crane his neck until he was flipped back around.

We've finally sorted his rash, well, the source of it.  It's caused by a virus, which explains why it crops up when he has a snotty nose.  I'm glad I went to his doctor and demanded answers.  We've had to resort to cortisone (steroid) cream temporarily, there's really nothing else we can do.  The other creams aren't effective enough and every rashy spot is an area where disease can enter his body, so we must clear it up.

Sometimes I have a hard time balancing my natural inclinations with the modern medical world.  I want Bennett to be healthy and comfortable, but I don't want to turn to medication right away.  I think there are often other avenues which work just as well, if not better.

Yesterday we had a family gathering and my mom was able to snap a picture of her three grandbabies under one.  Bennett is going to have so much fun with his cousins when he is a little older. He did his best to hold still for the pictures.


A while back I had my hair cut in my old style - angled bob.  It's a bit more work, I regret it a little.

1 comment:

  1. Your hair looks great. Bobs are more work than you'd think, but it really suits you (and me). Love the pictures of Bennett.

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved