Saturday, March 24, 2012

egg free chocolate chip cookies


It seems our dear baby is allergic to eggs.  Since I cannot live without baked goods, J looked up egg substitutes.  The first one he landed on was ground or milled flax seed.  Thank goodness we're the type of people who have three pounds of milled flax seed in the cupboard.  I can make a whole lot of baked goods with those three pounds!



This morning I tried my hand at baking without eggs.  It was a success ... almost.

Baking is serious business in this house.

At least two people are required.  This morning we had a chef - that's me - and a helper - that's B.


Music is required too.  This morning we listened to our Chris Tomlin station on Pandora.


Egg Free Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ingredients


2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (optional, never add it myself)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs 2 Tbsp milled flaxseed + 6 Tbsp water (1 Tbsp flaxseed + 3 Tbsp water = 1 egg)




1 package chocolate chip cookies (I prefer Ghirardelli)


* You can also substitute flaxseed for butter, oil and shortening.  1 Tbsp butter, oil, shortening = 3 Tbsp flaxseed.


Process


Preheat oven to 375
Stir flour with baking soda and salt - set aside
Beat butter with sugar and brown sugar until creamy
Add vanilla and flaxseed/water mixture
Mix until blended
Gradually blend dry ingredients with creamed mixture
Add chocolate chips
Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet


You can use a spoon, but I prefer this little gadget



If you have any dough left to put on the cookie sheets that is ...


Bake for 9-11 minutes (I bake at the lower end, I like my cookies super gooey.)


If your helper gets bored/restless/begins screaming at the top of his/her lungs, pop in exersaucer until baking is finished.




Results


My cookies came out a little flat, makes sense I suppose, egg is a fluffer after all (this is a real term, and if it's not, it should be)


And I forgot the baking soda!!  Sheesh!




J quipped, "you made Jewish cookies, unleavened."


Thanks, babe.


So they are more like chocolate chip pancakes.  Oops.  I think they will be much fluffier if you remember to add baking soda.


They taste good, though!  A fine reminder that looks aren't everything.  By the time they came out of the oven I was already feeling a bit of a cookie dough hangover.  I went a little crazy since there was no egg in the dough.  No egg, no salmonella to worry about!  I wish I would have known about this recipe when I was pregnant!!


So the cookies were a bit odd, not quite as good as ones I've made with egg, but the dough, oh my, it was divine.  And that's all that really matters, right?


This has been quite a weekend and it's only Saturday afternoon!  I joined Twitter (@angelarodman), made egg free chocolate chip cookies, and planted my first food garden (with much help and direction from J).  More to come on the garden planting.  I have the cutest pictures of B in the sunshine to share.  Here's a preview ...



5 comments:

  1. I love chocolate chip cookie dough so I'm really happy to see this recipe since I can't eat the regular stuff right now.

    The pictures of Bennett are adorable, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might have already tried this and it didn't work, but my brother had an allergy to eggs as a baby (ie: he would PROJECTILE vomit if given cooked eggs), however he could always eat eggs if mixed in with other things such as recipes for cookies, cakes and brownies. I'm not sure what the difference was. He also out grew this allergy by his teen years.

    Your cookies don't sound half bad though. I like the picture of B with the grass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Great looking recipe - I'll have to swap out the butter for something non-dairy then I can make these for my vegan friends. :)

    "You made Jewish cookies" - LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look up vegan cookie recipes! There are some really fabulous ones out there that you would never guess were egg/dairy free. And I'm a bit of a cookie snob. If you dont care about dairy, you could always sub real butter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Angela, I joined Twitter this weekend too, must be the weekend for it!
    My eldest is vegan, so we cook lots of egg free recipes. Chick pea flour is quite a good egg substitute, especially for things like bean/vege burgers.
    This site is great too http://www.piginthekitchen.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved