Thursday, March 29, 2012

hunger games!!




I should be sleeping, but I had caffeine tonight so there's no hope of that happening anytime soon.


Finally saw Hunger Games this evening.  It was SO good!  I've been waiting to see the movie for years.  I read the book way back when it was in advance copy form in 2008.  I brought it home from the bookstore, gave it to J, said, "not really my thing, but maybe you'll like it."


He devoured it, then ordered me to read it.  I loved it.  After reading it I told J, "this is going to be huge."


I think the book is better than the movie, of course.  The book has more background, more information about the political climate.  And the story, oh the story, it simply cannot translate to the big screen.


However, the film rocked the whole conveying emotion thing.  I sobbed when Rue died, I'm sure you did too.  And when Katniss is waiting to go into the arena I was so scared and nervous I thought I was going to throw up.


I loved it.  I want to see it again.


And I was reminded why I love the Hunger Games trilogy so much: it's honest and real and gritty and emotional and intense.


At its core lies the strength of characters determined to survive despite all the terror, hatred and pain the world has thrown at them.


Grief seeps from the pages, loss permeates the character's words and actions.  I understand that, it's my language, my tribe, where I live.


As the credits rolled I thought about the end of Mockingjay, how it will always resonate with me:


"What I need is the dandelion in the spring.  The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction.  The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses."


Exactly.


Did you see Hunger Games?  Did you love it?

1 comment:

  1. Brian and I saw it last Friday. It was awesome. I thought everyone was very well cast especially Peeta and Katniss. Josh Hutcherson, the guy who plays Peeta has the exact right 'softness' in his face that I attribute to Peeta.

    You're right that book does hit you where you live doesn't it? I read the entire series last year during my first hospital stay at 23ish weeks with Kaia and MAN did I ever relate. Crap just keeps getting tossed at those poor tributes and that's how I felt at the time. Nothing had gone right, nothing was going right and nothing would ever go right in my life ever again.

    It's a great series. I'm happy it's doing well on the big screen and I can't wait to see the next one!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved