Wednesday, March 21, 2012

independent


Three months was a big turning point for Bennett.  At three months the newborn is no more, there are longer awake periods, more smiles, some sounds, more baby. Six months is another turning point, it seems.


Bennett doesn't mind hanging out on his own now - as long as someone is close.  I've tried putting him in his crib with toys for quiet time if he refuses to nap.  That doesn't work, he just screams, but if I'm in and out of the room, folding laundry, sweeping, dusting, within sight, or close enough to talk to him, he's fine with playing on the floor by himself for a good long while.


I remember when he used to scream every time I left the room.  I thought it would last forever, thank goodness for carriers so I could have him with me always.  A few months later he is happy as can be sitting up and playing with his toys.


Some days I don't know what to do with Bennett.  He loves sitting and playing, but sometimes I wonder if he gets bored, if he would like to do more, but there's not much else he can do at this point.  It's amazing how content he is with a few toys. And if he fusses I spend time with him playing, or rotate his toys, and he's happy for a while longer.


Bennett is all over the place when he plays.  Sitting, on his stomach, on his back, on his side, flopped over the side or back of the pillow I put down so he doesn't hit his head on the floor when he falls backwards.


We gave him avocado the other night.  I needed most of it for dinner, but gave him a piece and some of the skin to play with.  He was interested, but wasn't too thrilled when I tried to put it in his mouth.




He liked the skin, but ignored the pieces on his tray.




I think I'll wait a couple weeks before trying again.  He watches our mouths when we eats, mimics our chewing, reaches for our plates and food, but I don't think he is ready yet.


Drinking water, however, is all the rage around here right now.  He loves cups, glasses, mugs, anything that may have liquid in it.  I was giving him a plastic cup I had floating around, but finally bought him a suitable cup this week.





Yesterday I set him in a laundry basket while I made the bed.



And he promptly tried to pull himself up and out.


I'm taking bets on when he'll be crawling.  I think it will be soon, but babies are unpredictable.

**

Quickly, on a completely different topic: thank you to those who have liked the facebook page so far.  I'm having fun getting to know you over there.  And I've added a couple pages to the blog: books we love, baby things we own and love, and ones we want.  More changes to come soon!


3 comments:

  1. Jack grows slowly for the most part and then every so often he'll suddenly grow up massively in just a day or so. B seems to have done the same thing - just suddenly looks much older and more grown up. He is utterly gorgeous Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is So incredibly cute! Reading about B growing up has helped me prepare for what may be in store in the next month :) Love all your pictures! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the close up of Bennett holding the cup! You can just how proud of himself he is. It is like he saying 'Hey mom! Look at me! Look at what I can do!'

    Absolutely precious.


    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved