Tuesday, March 6, 2012

sleep training lite


We're sleep training - I guess?  We enforce naps and bedtimes, make B stick to a schedule.  It keeps him happy, which in turn keeps us happy.  Kid needs at least two naps a day to be civilized, three is ideal.  I admit, some days I don't want to go anywhere or do anything because it's easier to stay home and keep him on schedule.

B nurses three times a night.  I would love to say goodbye to the 10:00 feed, just do 3:00 (or 4 or 5) and 7.  Wait, maybe that's twice a night, 7 is usually his wake up time.  He does well at night, but from the time he goes to sleep at 7 until his first feed is usually rough.  Most nights he will settle until 8:00 or so, but then he goes through his witching hour(s) which consists of taking out his pacifier, fussing, crying because he doesn't want to be awake, one of us fetching his pacifier, soothing, and a few minutes of sleep before it starts all over again.

I would love to break him of this habit, but don't know how.  I've kind-of, sort-of, not really attempted letting him cry.  It does not work.  At all.  B goes from babbling to mad to hysterical to hyperventilating in about five minutes.  We let him fuss for a while last night (fifteen minutes).  By the time I went down he was beside himself.  I was lifting him out of the crib when he arched his back and threw his head back screaming all the while.  I was reaching for his pacifier at the same time and I dropped him.  Scared me half to death.  He didn't fall very far, and he only hit his mattress, but what if he had done that over the floor??  His mini baby tantrums have me dreading his full on toddler fits.

Once B settles in after his 10:00 feed he's good to go.  He doesn't fuss too much, he settles right in after nursing, I don't have to work with him very much. Most of the time.  Last night at 11:00 I gave up and let him sleep in our bed.  I have to say, I don't think how well he sleeps has to do with us.  I think it's more about him and his personality.  Some babies sleep well, some don't.  I feel lucky that he sleeps as well as he does.

I think he's struggling to sleep (naps have been a nightmare today) because the new, stronger probiotics are hurting his tummy and he has a fresh eczema outbreak on his face.  And maybe his not yet poked through teeth are bothering him??

Speaking of eczema I've been doing a lot of research.  Here's what I've learned:

* diet may affect it
* diet does not affect it, no way, no how
* bathe baby every day
* bathe baby every seven days
* probiotics work wonders
* probiotcs do not help, in fact they may be harmful
* parents have to deal with it, learn to cope, most of the time it goes away in two-four years
* if you don't do something about it your child may develop a more serious problem, like asthma.

Lovely, lots of contradictory information to ponder.  I find it interesting that the American Academy of Pediatrics is the most laid back about it all.  The information from their site can be summed up as follows: deal with it, parents, it will likely go away when they're two or older.

This post has been started and stopped so many times I'm just going to publish it.  Sorry it's a bit jumbled.  J is giving B a bath in sea salt and lukewarm water in an attempt to control his itching.  I'm cutting back on dairy even more, once again working my way towards eliminating it.  It didn't help before, maybe this time it will because of the additional support he's receiving through the supplements I'm taking and his probiotics.  B has been so fussy today.  I have a feeling we're in for another long night.

6 comments:

  1. I hear you, Angela. We don't have the eczema problems, but we do all of a sudden have a hell of a dribble rash under her chin, and she's miserable. She's napping crap and yeah I'm still feeding twice (three times) over night. Oh man I'm tired. Letting her cry doesn't work either and didn't with Angus. Hang in there.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh mama. hang in there. <3 just keep in mind...it won't be like this for long. i'm sorry things are so tough right now! if you need anything, even mama time, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup, us too. except owen tends to feed four times a night, if you include the morning feed. sometimes five even. he cluster feeds from about 4 am to 7am, once an hour wake ups and nothing helps except nursing. don't get me started on naps. SO TRICKY! we can count on the 9 am one pretty consistently, but we still have to swaddle him and bounce him to sleep (he will NOT go down "drowsy but awake" - what a joke.) beyond that 9 am nap, nothing is consistent. every time I think we've got it sort of figured out, it all gets changed up again. I'm trying to just be zen about it all, the weeks are long, the years are short, all that jazz. I can't believe our babies are nearly 6 months old, time has flown even in the face of serious sleep deprivation.

    my nephew had eczema something awful and it was SO HARD on my brother and his wife (and of course their son!). my heart goes out to you. I hope that you find your way towards some resolution - I know how tricky it can be with all the conflicting advice. (Owen has tummy issues and I get all the same conflicting advice - diet makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE, diet makes NO DIFFERENCE, etc. etc.)

    (sal, we have that same damn dribble rash under his chin, ouch.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way I looked at it when I first started eliminating foods for A was it is just two weeks. Two weeks will let me know if this is the culprit or not. Two weeks was a doable time frame in my brain, and the knowing at the end was a great reward. At the end of the two weeks there was no more blood in his stool, and he was a very different baby (much happier) and that (and the fact that he was a screaming beast when I fell off the wagon) was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow after that. After he was ten months old I was able to reintroduce dairy to my diet, but not to his yet.

    If you really do not want to cut out dairy from your diet, you could consider giving him Alimentum or Ellecare for two weeks to see what that does, and in the meantime pump. there are definite pros and cons to this scenario, but it is an option.

    You could also consider seeing an allergist to determine if there is an allergy involved. Now that he is over six months old, RAST or skin scratch testing will be more accurate. However, just to add to the contradictions, MSPI (milk/soy protein intolerance) may present as exczema, but since it is not an allergy (just an intolerance, RAST or skin testing will be negative.

    My DD has terrible weather related exczema (it comes with a vengance every winter but she is free of it all summer). I also didn't want to lather her with steroids, but she was scratching to the point of bleeding. I read somewhere to lather on moisturizer on wet skin. So what I did was before bedtime I moistened her skin with a warm wet rag (warm to be more comfortable and open the pores) and then caked on tons of Aveeno lotion. It worked in like three days. She had it on her legs, so her pj's protected it, but maybe you can put a snug hat on him for the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've got the drool rash too, goodness it's bad. The ped told us to use a bib to protect his neck, but that makes the back of his head/neck break out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I follow your blog. I'm a BLM too and have a 5 month old baby girl now. Just want let you know you're an awesome mama and hang in there. You might have tried this already but try breastmilk on B. When my little one had some baby acne on her face, I pumped some breastmilk and applied it on her face with a cotton. I did a test area first before I placed it all over face. It worked extremely well for her.

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved