Tuesday, July 17, 2012

so good


This is going to be one of those annoying I'm gardening!! posts.  Apologies in advance.


But first: Yes, @Hope's Mama, this is the Pacific Northwest summer.  We wear jackets and sweaters sometimes during the summer because the weather isn't always warm.  And we spent our weekend away on the Washington state coast, which is quite chilly (it didn't get above 70°F (21°C) during the day).  This week our warmest day is predicted at 83°F (28.3°C).  And it nearly always cools down enough at night that a sweater or jacket is required.


******


We have SO much food in our garden right now.  I love selecting our food for dinner from the backyard. When I did the weekly shop J asked, "is that really all we need?"  And I was able to say, "yep, everything else is outside."  Oh my stars, it's exciting!  I know I'm a little bit (a lot?) lame for finding gardening so exciting, but I've never watched food grow.  I'm learning a lot, some of which I probably should have known before I was 28 (almost 29 - yikes!).


For dinner I've been serving a main dish as well as lettuce, carrots and zucchini from the garden.  Last night we harvested and ate the first potatoes.  I season the carrots, zucchini and potatoes with whatever spices will go with our meal (suggestions: olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary or olive oil, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning or olive oil, salt, pepper, smoked paprika) and then bake or grill them (oven at 425°, bake 20 minutes then broil until crispy if you like, for the grill 15 minutes or so does the trick).




I haven't had great luck with the zucchini but the carrots were amazing in the oven and on the grill and the potatoes were perfect after a fifteen minute stint on the grill.  It's simple and easy and good for us.  I love it.




A year ago I said I would never garden, that it just wasn't for me.  Now I'm gardening (with lots of help from J) and making a lot of what we eat from scratch.  Last night I made pulled pork sliders on homemade whole wheat buns.




It was easy and really good.  You should try it!  Here's the recipes:


Pulled Pork - the great thing about pulled pork is that I can make a big batch and freeze portions for later use.  The pork we ate tonight was originally made three months ago.


Homemade Hamburger Buns - also makes great rolls.  I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose.  And I just used water instead of making an egg wash.


And if you don't have a garden, use veggies from the store.  And if you would rather not make the buns, buy them from the store.  It will still be delicious.

I am starting to believe cooking should be fun.  I am starting to say I hate cooking less.  And I love that B is growing up playing on the floor at my feet while I cook and bake.

2 comments:

  1. Gardening is totally fun! We had a blast with it last year when we had our first vegetable garden. This year it kind of got put on the back burner; we were busy during the planting months and with all this nausea I've only cooked a couple times in the last 6 weeks, so tending to vegetables has been the last thing on my mind. Even my herbs have died. :( I did steam snow peas from the garden last night for the first time this season, and oh man, were they good. Did you guys grow any of those? Here's what we do, and they end up tasting almost like candy: pick them and snap of each end, and if you can, strip off the strings on the edges. Put them in a sautee pan with several tbsp of water and a light sprinkling of kosher salt, cover, and cook on high for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for another 3 min. Drain and toss with some butter and a little lemon juice. They are ridiculously delicious.

    I'm really impressed with how much food you guys are growing, especially with this being your first year. And I'm jealous of how well your carrots are doing!! For the second year in a row, ours are pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just you, I've gotten really into gardening this year too. I think being outside with my hubby helps the grief. Plus, you get to eat yummy, fresh, organic produce!

    We love pulled pork, but I haven't tried making my own buns. Maybe on a weekend I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved