Monday, July 23, 2012

sweet sick b


I'm so tired I wasn't sure I should be driving B to the doctor's office this morning.  I think J may be even more wiped out than I am and he has to do really complicated things at work. I'm pretty sure his job involves physics and other echelons of higher math I don't pretend to understand.


B is sick.


Coughing, sneezing, congested, labored breathing - the works.




I've been calm about it, which proves that months of weekly counseling is doing some good.  I've been Miss Casual: kids get colds, he'll be fine soon, no big deal.  I'll just take him to the doctor Monday morning so we can make sure all is fine.


And it is fine, let me assure you in case you're feeling a rising sense of panic.


I just didn't hear what I expected to this morning.


I expected a quick look over along with a "everything's fine, be on your way."


I did not expect his doctor to say, "this looks like first presentation of asthma."


Ah, shoot.  Seriously?


It's really hard to diagnose one so little with asthma so we're doing the watch and wait thing, but the fact that B is a very allergic baby makes a future asthma diagnosis likely.


I knew asthma was a possibility if we didn't get his allergies under control and heal his gut.  I thought keeping him on a strict diet - no dairy, no wheat, no eggs, no nuts - would prevent this.  I guess this is another lesson in how little one can control.


B received a breathing treatment at the doctor's office.  I hope it helps.  I can hear him coughing in his crib right now, but he's not waking up or crying.  I don't know how I feel about the breathing treatments.  We researched expectorants last night because we assumed that was the path the doctor would take this morning.  I'm so tired I'm willing to use the breathing treatments for now and once I have a second to think (life is so busy right now) I may take B back to our naturopath and get her opinion.


Honestly I'm having one of those days where I'm just glad he's alive.  Inhalers and breathing treatments don't matter so long as B is here to wail and protest when they are given to him. 

3 comments:

  1. (((hugs))) so sorry B is sick mama! Praying he'll be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son has had asthma since 5 months old. You get really good at learning your child and knowing their needs before they do. I know that you don't know me but I have been following your blog for a while...but feel free to contact me if you have any questions! katieburns17@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved