Wednesday, August 22, 2012

what a day!


I went to Walmart today (again!) because I had to buy something for Bennett's birthday that I can't find anywhere else in town, and the website said they had it at the far South Walmart.

Before trekking down to Walmart, Bennett and I stopped in at a local place like the YMCA only newer and fancier. I wanted to check membership rates because I really want to get him in the water on a regular basis. He naps so well after swimming at my sister's place and he loves to splash around.

This place, the Kroc Center, is close to our house and darn huge. When I pulled into the parking lot I thought, "oh my word, this place is ginormous. I have no idea where to go! Where is the entrance? Where do I park? I just want to ask a question. Maybe I should come back tomorrow with my Mom."  Then I took a deep breath, parked and followed someone from the parking lot to the main entrance.

It is a very nice facility. I really want to get a membership, but the fees are steep. J and I will have to see if we can swing it. I suppose we could go back to the Y, with pools in the basement, old locker rooms and scary hallways, but the Y is so decrepit, parking is hard to come by and it's about the same every month. This Kroc Center seriously intimidated me. At least I understand the Y.

So after that errand we hopped on the freeway - something I try to avoid - and went to Walmart. I put Bennett in the Ergo so I wouldn't have to think about him falling out of the cart while I was on the hunt for colored sand. I found my way to the toy section and nearly passed out from plastic colored toy overload. I wandered for a minute until I found an employee.

"Can you tell me where the colored sand is? It was listed in stock online, it has to be here somewhere."

"Colored sand? Maybe over here ..."

I followed her up a few aisles. Nope. No sand. She mutters something.

"Pardon?"

"Over by the pools .."

"Excuse me?"

"It's probably in clearance, over by the pools."

I wait for more information. She stares at me.

"I don't know where that is."

Blank stare.

"I've never been here before."

Blank stare.

"You're going to have to help me out. Please."

"Oh, over here. It's a mess." She walks me over to a disaster zone of toys and gadgets piled in heaps on shelves. "I guess it would be somewhere in here," she waves at the shelves and walks away.

I hunted and hunted and hunted. No luck. I found the crafts section of the store and asked someone in that department if they had colored sand.

"Try stationary."

"Where's that?"

Incredulous look.

I'm sorry, I don't have the layout of this store memorized.

I've never been here.

"By the jewelry counter."

When I failed to find what I was looking for in that aisle I gave up and headed to Target, where someone asked me if I needed help finding anything less than two minutes after I walked in the door. I didn't find what I was looking for, but at least someone offered to help me.

Poor customer service makes me CRAZY. I worked in the customer service industry. I know it's not always fun, but being polite and helping as much as you can is your job. I like shopping at smaller stores because I can walk in, find a person, ask for help and do nothing. I am a lazy shopper and I believe a person employed at a store is there to assist me. That is why I am always polite to sales clerks; I demand, and I expect, a lot. My favorite kind of shopping involves me saying, "I want this," and someone bringing it to me.

What a day! And to top it all off Bennett fell while we were out. He did not want to be carried so I put him down and let him walk, but I insisted on holding his hands. He got going too fast and fell forward onto his knee. If I had let him do it on his own he probably would have fallen on his bottom like he does at home. Fat lip yesterday. Knee scrape today. Having a boy requires fortitude and comfort with blood (which I do not possess).

Of course I instagrammed his hurt knee. Apologies to those who have already seen it:


We ended our busy day by walking all the way to J's work to pick him up. That's nearly four miles round trip.


2 comments:

  1. poor dude hope his knees ok! i am the SAME way about shopping - lazy - and i expect polite customer service which is VERY hard to come by! i am also picky about waiters/waitresses - i have done both jobs so i don't feel bad about high expectations! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably not so helpful now, but I bet Craft Warehouse would have had it. Do you know where that is? It's at the South end of Lancaster down by 22. Is that helpful saying north and south? When I first moved to Salem and had a husband I told him to turn North. When he turned left I told him the other way...which was not North. It took me awhile. I can only do north/south in salem. Any other town/city/country and I'm totally lost. Unless I'm at the beach. Then I know my directions.

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved