Saturday, September 22, 2012

awol


Bennett scared ten years off my life this afternoon. We were at my nephew's birthday party in the community center at the complex where they live. We had the small center (one main room) to ourselves so we let Bennett roam.

I was holding Ali in the seating area when I looked up and realized Bennett wasn't with J. I scanned the room. No Bennett. I stood up and scanned again. No Bennett. "Where is Bennett?" I called. Blank stares. I rushed forward with Ali in my arms. "Who has Bennett? Has anyone seen him?!"

Everyone scattered and began looking. The center has two doors: one to the pool (locked thank goodness) and one to the parking lot. My sister rushed down the hallway to the second door. She spotted Bennett outside, red balloon cradled in his hands, toddling down the sidewalk. She ran and scooped him up just before he hit the parking lot.

I cannot believe Bennett pushed the door open and headed outside. He's only 12 months! He walked past two open bathroom doors, which is hazardous enough, and headed on out like he had somewhere to be. I am so glad he had that red balloon in his hands because it slowed him down some.

When we're in a family group I tend to assume someone has an eye on Bennett. I'll never do that again. The rest of the afternoon I kept an anxious eye out for Bennett at all times. He is so quick and independent. I have no idea how far he would've traveled if I hadn't noticed he was gone shortly after he left.

Thank the Lord for mother's intuition and guardian angels.

And then they made me stop, Daddy. They made me come in. Why can't I go wherever I want?


8 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, I love that picture and caption. Perfect. And yes, they just get so frustrated with the 'containment' as I call it because they feel so big.

    Great developmental skills.

    As you said...years off a mother's life for sure.
    xoxoxoxo

    (I had to stop assuming that family would watch Luke too. Nope. Seriously?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's rough. Sorry you had to go through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that photo says it ALL! We had a similar situation last weekend, though no lost baby, just a baby teetering at the top of three very steep steps, with a concrete landing. I don't think ANYONE watches a baby like a mum. I said to Simon (who is a very attentive daddy, don't get me wrong) "can you watch her for a moment" and when I came back, there she was. He'd only turned his back for a second. Of course that's all it takes.
    These kids sure do know how to make us smile, but also carve years off our lives! Glad this story ended well. I can't help but giggle at the photo.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad he's okay! I'm sure that scared you. What a precious photo and cute caption! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel inclined to say that I hope the family won't be too disparaged... They were probably trying to keep an eye on all of the multitude of mobile children present, not just Bennett specifically. Everyone there would of course protect each child from potential danger if seen. But the nature of crowds is that an individual adult is not as likely to be focused on an individual child continuously unless they are asked to be. The learning curve with sweet Mr. B is a steep one; he is advancing so quickly! Family who don't seem him all the time may also not have realized that he could be such an escape artist.

    I'm sure they were also horrified by the incident- though of course not as viscerally as a mother would be. But I agree, no one will have the same child-specific radar and intuition as that child's parent.

    I think communication will be important. Hopefully that will ease the anxiety and minimize the distrust in group settings.

    Absolutely ADORABLE photo. I'm so glad things turned out okay. So scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tag of "oh my heart" is totally fitting.

    That wild B!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I would have been freaking out too. It's scary stuff. I can't imagine an mobile baby yet- so crazy. Glad he was found safe and sound (and with the red balloon/guardian angel). :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeek! The independent ones are scary! My little one managed to disappear at 2 years old while I was holding the stroller she was sitting in. I just stopped to call my husband and when I looked down she was gone. I didn't have my eyes off her for 30 seconds. She had wandered down the sidewalk of a huge outlet mall, right next to a very busy parking lot. She wasn't far but I couldn't see her because the bushes were taller than her. It took me days to calm down. Hopefully he got enough adventure for awhile!

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved