Saturday, September 15, 2012

one year


My mom stayed with us last nigh so I could get a decent amount of sleep. Bennett slept all night and is still sleeping now. I woke up at 5:30am and couldn't go back to sleep. Isn't that just how it goes?

I don't want to make today about Charlotte. It's Bennett's first birthday party. It's a chance to celebrate him. I miss her though. Her first birthday was a memorial service of sorts. How different it is to plan a party and bake cakes with a naked little boy toddling around the house getting into everything and making the execution of every small task difficult.

The house is quiet. Isabel is sleeping at my feet. And I just need to take a moment to imagine a little girl asleep in the next room. She would spend her day jealous of the attention showered on her little brother. She would pitch a fit, perhaps. She has a fiery spirit. It's that red hair. Those curls. She would be vibrant and loud and present ...

I can't quite make my mind go there. It's been too long. I have settled into the fact of her absence. It is becoming more and more difficult to conjure a life for her. But him -


oh, he lives and breathes and frustrates and delights and I am stunned we have had him an entire year.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but "go there." My son Jack was still born just six weeks ago. Everything is still too real, too raw. He should be sleeping in my arms while I watch trashy TV and snooze; I shouldn't be sobbing while I read about other losses. I'm in awe of others that had rainbow babies and are actually living again. Thank you for giving me hope.

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved