Friday, September 21, 2012

profile


B hasn't napped in the morning for days, but he is stumbling around the living room like an amateur drunk so I scoop him up and carry him to his bedroom.

He nurses and then valiantly fights sleep even though he is exhausted.


I sing and rock and wait for him to drift off.

I close my eyes, tip my head back and silently repeat this mantra, "be patient, this is the most important thing you have to do today."

When I start to nod off I lift my head to check on B. He is asleep, finally. On his back in my lap: arms akimbo, legs splayed, head to one side.

Even now, a year on, he looks like his sister in profile.

My breath catches as I look at him.

How is that possible?

When she lived less than a day and he has logged enough miles to make a year, how can he look like her?

6 comments:

  1. I have always thought they looked strikingly similar, almost like a boy/girl version of the same person. It is amazing that that hasn't seemed to change regardless of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always thought they looked strikingly similar, almost like a boy/girl version of the same person. It is amazing that that hasn't seemed to change regardless of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are all quite alike. In some moments more than others. Especially during sleep, which is not surprising.
    Lovely words today.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful babies! I love the mantra. What a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely writing...wow, they truly do look SO much alike...and they are both very beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since Cameron is my oldest, it always catches me off guard when I peek in on him sleeping and catch a glimpse of Nathan. Nathan was so tiny... I often wonder just how much he would've looked like his daddy and brother, had he been full-term.

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved