Thursday, October 25, 2012

are you talking to me?


A few weeks ago I was doing the monthly shop with Bennett. I've just started doing it on my own. It requires much planning and it makes for a long day, but I feel lame asking J to help me shop when he works full time (and then some).

I was proud of myself because I managed to get Bennett in the Ergo on my back without help. I often front pack him when I'm by myself because it's a lot easier. I'm always afraid I'm going to drop him on his head in a parking lot when I swing him onto my back.

As we shopped I talked to Bennett. I have very little idea of what is going on around me when I am out with Bennett. I talk and sing without thinking about who may be listening in. My hair was a mess and I was wearing my glasses and too big clothes that fit just after Bennett's pregnancy. I was bending over sorting through tuna cans when it happened.

"Should we buy tuna? Do you think you can have tuna? I wonder if you'll break out. What do you think? Should we try it?"

I reached out and picked up a can.

"Let's try it. Well, wait, I just don't know if you can have it .."

I was bending down to replace the can when I realized a man was next to me. He smiled uneasily, "are you talking to me, ma'am?"

"What? Oh! No, no! I have a baby, I'm talking to this guy." I shifted and pointed to Bennett on my back. Because of how I was standing he couldn't see Bennett. He thought I was having a very long conversation with myself about canned tuna.

He laughed and exhaled. I think he was sure I was absolutely off my rocker.

A few aisles later I ran into him again. He smiled at me and announced to the crowded aisle, "this nice lady has a baby on her back! She is not talking to herself."

I laughed. We continued on our way.

And I did buy canned tuna for Bennett to try. No reaction, but he didn't like it.

3 comments:

  1. That's funny! I talk to Cameron when we go shopping too. I tend to get funny looks, but I don't care. As long as it makes her happy then that's all that matters to me. But I can say that no one has every asked if I was talking to them! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, that happens to me ALL the time, except usually they don't actually say anything so I have to spot that they are edging away from me nervously and turn so they can see J :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee. I usually have both girls with me so I don't look crazy because I'm consulting with a 5 year old and a baby on which brand of pasta to buy.

    I usually have C.S. on my front in stores too because I feel like she's kind of alone back there.

    ReplyDelete

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved