Friday, December 2, 2016

it's not fair: learning to love the life you didn't choose {book review}




In the middle of reading It's Not Fair I texted my best friends and said: you must read this book. Now. Right now. Drop everything. READ IT.

Okay, it wasn't quite that intense, but I was so encouraged and moved I did suggest they pick up the book soon-ish.

I think we can all relate to this book because life rarely goes as planned. And while these books often tip over into overdone sentimentality (it's fine, love Jesus more, have more faith!!) Melanie Dale throws in enough irreverence to keep it funny and away from the fake happy arena.

Melanie Dale uses her story of infertility and adoption as well as other's struggles to explore how to cope and move forward when life doesn't go according to plan. She uses humor a lot - sometimes a bit too much for me - but she also provides clear Biblical answers on how to move forward and continue living in the face of extreme pain.

I like how Dale included other people's stories, but the overall mix was off for me. In fact, I didn't like how the book was laid out at all. Maybe I would have liked it better in paper format, but the e-book formatting made the book feel a little hectic and jumbled. I did not like having random Facebook and Twitter posts interspersed throughout the book, because they were often right in the middle of a heavy chapter or paragraph.

Despite my issues with the layout I thought It's Not Fair was an excellent book for anyone who is standing in the middle of their life wondering how they got there and how to go forward on a completely different path than the one they expected their life to follow.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”





No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved